[Mailman-Users] My issue with using web server on the server to get to mailman

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Fri Jul 18 03:34:43 CEST 2008

Enhancement request:

Allow the following to work:

	http://localhost/mailman/...

Then, somewhere within the configuration, mailman is told that localhost is
equal to, in my case, vidiot.com/www.vidiot.com.

After doing so more research tonight, even if I sent up the DNS bind
configuration on my system, it won't help.  I removed dns from the nsswitch.conf
file and verified that the browser can't get anywhere.

I then changed the hosts file to look like:

	192.168.1.1 mrvideo vidiot.com www.vidiot.com loghost

I then told the browser to go to http://vidiot.com and the DSL box put up
its web page.  The DSL box will not allow me to talk to myself with regards to
web pages.  Whomever wrote the Linux software for the DLS modem didn't take
into account this situation.  It should only allow web access via its LAN
address.

By using the locahost interface, I avoid sending packets out of the ethernet
port, keeping the DSL modem from intercepting them.

I can't be the only one that has had a problem with this.

I really do not want to spend money on a router to do a simple thing that
can be done in software.  That is just plain overkill.

Thanks for listening.

BTW, I'm going to WiMax in the near future, after TDS gets their act together,
which will get me a whole new internet interfce box.  No idea how it will work.
I'd rather not wait until then to find out.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign