[Mailman-Users] My issue with using web server on the server to get to mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 18 05:27:27 CEST 2008

Mike Brown writes:

 > I then changed the hosts file to look like:
 >
 > 	192.168.1.1 mrvideo vidiot.com www.vidiot.com loghost

Are you sure 192.168.1.1 isn't the DSL box?  192.168.1.1 is grabbed
for themselves by many DSL boxes.  But whatever.

Anyway, changing that to 127.0.0.1 should do what you want; the DSL
box can't get its hands on that since it never leaves the local host
at all.

 > I really do not want to spend money on a router to do a simple thing that
 > can be done in software.  That is just plain overkill.

Yeah, but it shouldn't be done in Mailman.  That's just going to add
confusing, potentially buggy code for a task that should be arranged
by the host OS for best results (including making the meaning of tests
clear).