[Mailman-Users] Users get email, but admin messages are not sent

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 21 19:03:16 CEST 2008

Russell Horn wrote:
> What does not work, however, is admin emails. Messages regarding
> pending subscription requests, posts needing moderator approval etc,
> they never even make it to postfix. The mailman smtp log doesn't show
> anything other than list posts. The error log has no entries in the
> past week, so nothing useful there that I can see.
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py contains:
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.mydomain.com'

This probably has nothing to do with it, but if the above setting for
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is different from the one in Defaults.py, you should add

to override the entry from Defaults.py

> MTA = 'Postfix'

The next five settings are all equivalent to the defaults. It's OK to
have them in mm_cfg.py for documentation, but they aren't needed.

> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
> SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
> SMTPPORT = '25'
> I don't see any problems there.
> Can anyone suggest any other reason that might be stopping my admin
> messages from sending?

What happens if you mail directly to the listname-owner address?

Do other Mailman generated notices get delivered - e.g. a subscription
confirmation or a list welcome message?