[Mailman-Users] how to address bounceback spam?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 22 02:36:54 CEST 2008

Ali, Saqib wrote:
>> In short, the way to address this is to disable the -subscribe, -join,
>> -request, -unsubscribe, -leave and perhaps other email addresses (remove
>> teir aliases so they are undeliverable), and require the users to
>> subscribe/unsubscribe/confirm/etc. via the web.
>
> This will be very crippling for my users who primarily use to the
> email to subscribe or unsubscribe.

Actually, any mail sent to the -subscribe or the -join address is a
valid subscribe request and as long as subscribe_policy includes
'confirm' will result in a subscription confirmation to the (forged)
From: address.

Only mail to the -request or -confirm addresses produces 'unrecognized
command' or 'invalid confirmation' responses.

> Is there a way to  disable bounceback responses on "unrecognized command"

This will be addressed in Mailman 2.2, but currently, only by modifying
code in Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py and/or the various
Mailman/Commands/cmd_*.py modules.