[Mailman-Users] How can one forward a rejected message to the listowner?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 29 05:33:53 CEST 2008

Sagy Volkov wrote:

>To sort out the confusion, what i meant by "acceptable" is that how don't
>really care how the workflow will be (discard an email or reject an email),
>as long as the result is that member of the list will NOT get any email sent
>from non members, BUT, list moderators will receive any email, even the one
>that are discard rejected AND that those non members who got discard/reject
>will get an email notifying them they were rejected discard.

In Mailman terminology this is a reject. The difference between reject
and discard is reject returns the post to the sender and discard does
not.

>Right now, in the current configuration screen I can see from cPanel, the
>mailman configuration, I can set auto reply to rejected messages from non
>members (which is good), but i can not set the list mods to receive those
>rejected emails.

That is correct.

>On the other hand, there's an option to have all discard emails from non
>members, going to list moderators, but non members who were discarded are
>not getting any auto email saying they were discarded.

Also correct.

>That's why I wrote, these two solutions tegother will give me what I want,
>but i can not find how to implement them via mailman admin panel.

Because you can't. You can either notivy the sender or the
owners/moderators, but not both without Modifying the Mailman code.
There is no configuration option to do what you want.

>as for your 2nd suggestion, I don't want to use hold since that will mean
>mods will need need to approve any post and that's not what i want.

No. You can set the list members unmoderated and their posts will go
through without moderator notice or action. You can then still set
generic_nonmember_action to hold, and a post from a non-member will be
held for moderator action and the nonmember will be notified.

Also, if you want these discarded after a few days with no moderator
action, you can set General Options->max_days_to_hold to some non-zero
value to automatically discard them after that many days.