[Mailman-Users] Restricting throughput

James Reid james at thereidsonline.com
Tue Jul 29 13:37:41 CEST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I've been running mailman for sometime (2 years) plus with all working fine.

However, I have one list that is now getting very busy, both by volume of
messages sent + size of each message + total number of subscribers.

I now have a problem where if someone sends a 1MB message to the list that
mailman will end up using almost all of the available bandwidth on my
internet connection, making it difficult for other mail and web service to
get out.

I'm looking at implementing QOS on my internet router with a view to giving
mailman traffic a low priority, but am also wondering if I can slow things
down at the mailman end.

I've looked at making adjustments to the following variables, but am not
quite sure whether these would have the desired effect or what combination
to use:
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 20
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 0
MAX_DELIVERY_THREADS = 0