[Mailman-Users] Restricting throughput

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 29 16:25:12 CEST 2008

James Reid wrote:
>I've been running mailman for sometime (2 years) plus with all working fine.
>However, I have one list that is now getting very busy, both by volume of
>messages sent + size of each message + total number of subscribers.
>I now have a problem where if someone sends a 1MB message to the list that
>mailman will end up using almost all of the available bandwidth on my
>internet connection, making it difficult for other mail and web service to
>get out.

Mailman is not using internet bandwidth (unless the outgoing MTA is
remote). This is the outgoing MTA delivering the message to the

>I'm looking at implementing QOS on my internet router with a view to giving
>mailman traffic a low priority, but am also wondering if I can slow things
>down at the mailman end.

This has been discussed many times on this list (also see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/j4A9>). There are no Mailman settings which
can be used to limit Mailman's sending rate.

>Could someone give me some suggestions?

Don't allow 1MB posts to large lists. See