[Mailman-Users] Restricting throughput

Brad Knowles brad at python.org
Tue Jul 29 17:38:41 CEST 2008

James Reid wrote:

> I've looked at making adjustments to the following variables, but am not
> quite sure whether these would have the desired effect or what combination
> to use:
> SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 20
> SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 0
> MAX_DELIVERY_THREADS = 0

None of these are likely to help you achieve what you want.  They'll just
cause the same number of recipients to be spread over more or fewer outgoing
mail messages, but given that most mailing lists don't see a whole lot of
additional traffic when they turn on VERP, this is unlikely to buy you a
whole lot.

You need to throttle at a whole different level, and this is not something
that Mailman can help you with.  Go to the FAQ section of the Mailman wiki
at <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions>, and search
for "throttle".

--
Brad Knowles <brad at python.org>
Member of the Python.org Postmaster Team & Co-Moderator of the