[Mailman-Users] mailman error after server crash

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 3 21:02:27 CEST 2008

Carlos Bergero wrote:

>Hi there, a few weeks ago my mail server crashed and serveral files
>where damage, and placed in lost+found. For some reason the mailman
>system failed after that while starting the service i got the following
>error.
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/list_lists", line 122, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/usr/sbin/list_lists", line 94, in main
>    mlist = MailList.MailList(n, lock=0)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 130, in __init__
>    self.Load()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 665, in Load
>    self.CheckVersion(dict)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 704, in CheckVersion
>    if self.data_version >= mm_cfg.DATA_FILE_VERSION:
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 146, in __getattr__
>    raise AttributeError, name
>AttributeError: data_version
>
>After checking back and forth I found that removing the list_lists from
>the /etc/init.d/mailman let the service start but one or more lists are
>not working, and of course the error persist, I cant also access the web
>page of the list. Can you give me some advice on what can be wrong. So
>far I cant make out which file is missing or has something wrong.

The above traceback indicates a corrupt lists/<listname>/config.pck for
some <listname>. This corruption probably occurred in the crash.

Yoy could try removing the lists/<listname>/config.pck so that Mailman
will fall back to lists/<listname>/config.pck.last. If that doesn't
work, you will need to restore the config.pck from a backup.