[Mailman-Users] default language per virtual host

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 4 05:48:52 CEST 2008

R. Hirschfeld wrote:

>Is it possible to configure the language used for the listinfo and
>admin overviews on a per-virtual-host basis?  Or failing that, to let
>the user select a language in which to view these overview pages, as
>can be done for the listinfo and admin pages of a specific list?  In
>my case the overviews should be in English for some virtual hosts and
>Dutch for others.

Currently, there's no way to configure this. The overview pages are
presented in the DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE. There is no setting for a
default language for a domain.

>Funnily enough, before a recent "unintentional upgrade" to version
>2.1.9 of Mailman (a disk crash after which the sysadmin installed a
>new version of the OS) this seemed to Just Work, with the language of
>the overview matching the preferred language of the virtual host's
>lists.  But from a cursory look at Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py and
>admin.py I don't see how that could be, so I may be misremembering.
>Now the overviews are all in English (the DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE).

Perhaps you are thinking of password reminders which are sent in the
language determined by

# If the person is on more than one list, it is possible that they
# have different preferred languages, and there's no good way to
# know which one they want their password reminder in.  Pick the
# most popular, and break the tie randomly.