[Mailman-Users] Encoding problems

Allan Odgaard 8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 19 06:21:08 CEST 2008

On 19 Jun 2008, at 00:24, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> So should I consider it a bug that setting list encoding to utf-8
>> will
>> (in my experience) _always_ produce (base 64 encoded) utf-8 letters,
>> when both header/footer and letter itself sent to list is ASCII?
>
> You may consider it a bug if you wish. It is intentional (but still
> perhaps wrong) that the message is coerced to the character set of the
> list's preferred language when msg_header and/or msg_footer are added.

I meant in the sense that I should report it / submit a patch, given
that what I saw was contrary to what you said the behavior should be.
Though given your correction, I assume I should not submit a patch for
this, if it actually is how it is supposed to work.

> The base64 encoding for a utf-8 message is a separate issue and is
> done
> by the Python email library.
>
>> Here is what I did to test: Set list encoding to utf-8 (in
>> mm_cfg.py).
>> Created a new list (called Test) and subscribed to it. Even the
>> welcome letter contained:

>>    Subject: =?utf-8?q?Welcome_to_the_=22Test=22_mailing_list?=
>

> This is a 'virgin' message from Mailman which will always be in the
> charset of the list's or user's preferred language, so no surprise
> here.

But encoding an ASCII subject? Though maybe this is also the Python
MIME library? I will do some tests with the lib.