[Mailman-Users] Feature Request: Selective Mass Subscription

Krystal Zipfel zipfel at greenacrestechnology.com
Tue Jun 24 21:38:44 CEST 2008

(figures, apparently my mail program is one of those *broken* ones so
apologies, this originally sent off list)

Hello Cyndi,

I do see where you are coming from, but abuse issues can go the opposite
direction from your description, and usually does.

The host I work for does NOT turn off mass subscription capability (but
also only provides the web interface). With that said, our abuse policy
states that all users must be double-opt in. Whether this is done via
Mailman or they're own script and database is up to the user, but they
had better be able to provide proof that the subscriber was double-opt in.

The reason for this is simple. Most hosts providing Mailman (or similar
package) do so on shared servers (our servers have up to 2000 lists per
server). If *for any reason what-so-ever* a user's list causes an ISP to
take notice, the ISP will most likely take notice by blocking that
shared server affecting all 1999 other lists on that server. Most ISP's
will then specifically request proof that the message was requested and
not unsolicited, and the best (and yes, legal way) to prove that is if
you have proof that the user was opted into the list TWICE.

In our eyes, the problem has nothing to do with some spammer mass
subscribing users (we have NEVER had this problem, actually... unless
the admin gets they're password compromised). It has everything to do
with covering our customers butts. :-)

Just offering the other side of the issue.

Krystal