[Mailman-Users] Feature Request: Selective Mass Subscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 24 23:24:23 CEST 2008

Fil wrote:

>I'd be interested to know what you call "double opt-in". Is it a web
>subscription + email reply with the cookie, or double-that (and in
>that case, what is the scenario).

My understanding of this is that "double opt-in" and what I call
"confirmed opt-in" are the same thing and that they mean

1. User requests to be on the list via a web form, email, etc. This is
the first opt-in. Note that strictly speaking, this probably precludes
unsolicited invitations, although an invitation in response to any
show of interest such as even checking a box on a paper form would be
OK.

2. An email with confirmation instructions is sent to the users address
to be subscribed to verify that the person who receives mail at that
address really wants to be on the list.

3. Only after the user follows the confirmation process of step 2 does
the user get added to the list. That's the second opt-in.

The key idea in this process is that the user's email address is only
added to the list after an affirmative response to an email sent to
that address.

I expect Krystal will correct me if I'm mistaken.