[Mailman-Users] Apache, mailman and ScriptAlias - not as documented

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 25 10:25:00 CEST 2008

On 25/06/2008, at 4:52 PM, Vidiot wrote:

> I've looked at the installation page over at the Wiki and there is
> nothing
> regarding the problem I've run up against.
>
> See page 6 of the Installation Manual (pdf).
>
> It states the following should be added:
>
> 	ScriptAlias /mailman/ $prefix/cgi-bin/
>
> I already have ScriptAlias defined:
>
> 	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"
>
> One is not allowed to have multiple ScriptAlias lines.  It almost
> appears
> that the instructions assume that no other ScriptAliases exist.  Not
> likely.
>
> The instructions have no workaround if Apache already has cgi-bin
> defined.
>
> Is there a workaround?
>
> Thanks for any pointers?

Hi again.

Actually, you are allowed to have multiple ScriptAlias lines within
your httpd.conf (or any of your vhost.conf files if you have
multiples. So long as they only point to a specific directory &
separate path you'll be fine. One of the servers I manage has maybe 14
different aliases running - I am sure there will be others who have
many more.

What the part of the manual you are referring to is saying is that
when someone calls /mailman, Apache knows that scripts within that
path are to be executed instead of being served straight up. It's an
addition to your existing cgi-bin rather than a replacement. Hope that
rather simplistic explanation serves to help you understand it a
little better.

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400