[Mailman-Users] Recipients missing on list post

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Wed Jun 25 14:20:29 CEST 2008

* Stefan Förster <cite+mailman-users at incertum.net> wrote:
> * Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is better, but if your Python is 2.4 or later, see
>> <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for a patch that can be applied to
>> Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py to produce copious debugging output
>> from Python's smtplib to Mailman's error log
>
> I put thos in place, thank you. Furthermore, I've written a small
> script to parse Mailman and Postfix logs once a day - the next time a
> recipient is omitted I will be notified. Now I have to wait...

This one did the trick. Thanks again, this was _very_ helpful.

>> You could also patch Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py to add
>>
>>     syslog.write('smtp', 'recips this chunk = %d', len(recips))
>
> Listing the number of recipients that the SMTP handler gets is a good
> idea, I've added that one, too.
>
> I will report my findings the next time I run into this issue.

I have identified the source of my issues: It turned out that the
Mailman installation I inherited was more heavily modified than I
thought - and one of those modifications was the source of the issue I
described. I decided to permanently take care of this and did a clean
reinstall, followed by artitifical stress testing and as expected, the
problem vanished.

I apologize for the noise my inquiry caused.

Cheers
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9