[Mailman-Users] Apache,

Hank van Cleef vancleef at lostwells.net
Thu Jun 26 17:41:38 CEST 2008

The esteemed Mark Sapiro has said:

> Vidiot wrote:
> >
> >Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll go away now and compile the source
> >when I get Sol10 working.  Speaking of that, do you suggest using GNU or
> >Sun Studio to compile the package?
>

> There are others on this list that can speak to Solaris installation
> about which I know almost nothing.
>
> The results of
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Apython.org+inurl%3Amailman+solaris+korean>
> may interest you.

Installing Python and Mailman on Solaris is pretty straightforward.  I
have done several builds and installs on Solaris 9 and 10, using both
gcc and the Sun compiler.  The installs run with the Sun versions of
sendmail and bind included in the Solaris distribution.

The choice of compilers primarily affects the Python build.  There is
very little C-language code in Mailman, as it is primarily a Python
application.  I am prejudiced toward using the Sun development system
in general, but haven't developed any solid rationale for using it in
preference to gcc for Python.  You will get a usable, but incomplete,
Python build using either compiler, and I have yet to do a Python
build that will pass all its tests.  As I recall, the Python that
builds without trying to fix any of the Python build script problems for
Solaris is adequate to support the Mailman application.

The PATH environment is critical, and you will have to set this up
properly with a .profile script in the root directory (for using root
to build) and in the /etc/profile script used by users.  My root PATH
reads:
julie:root:# echo $PATH
/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/etc:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/ucb

In particular, make sure the Mailman configure script finds your local
Python build, not the (older) version included in the Solaris
distribution.  This is the root of the "Korean Codec" problem that
Mark provided a google search link to.  Also make sure that the configure
scripts find the cc or gcc that you intend to use.  Renaming the
/usr/ucb/cc stub to cc.bsd will help, but Solaris 10 includes a
version of gcc as well, which you may or may not want to use.
If you want to use the Sun devsys, you'll have to force the configure
scripts not to use gcc with command line arguments.

I create and use the /usr/local directories.  Some System V purists
object to this.  Any objections I've seen are overcome by using a
separate partition for /usr/local.

In general, follow the Mailman build and installation guide.  When
setting up the mailman account, I find it easiest to use the standard
useradd and then use vipw to configure the passwd and shadow files
correctly.  The shadow file line should read:
mailman:NP:::::::
Don't "disable" the account, as this will prevent cron from running
the cron scripts.

The only "gimmick" specific to running Mailman with sendmail is to
include the alias pipes for Mailman in /etc/mail/aliases (and run
newaliases after changing the file).

Hank