[Mailman-Users] virtual domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 27 16:42:05 CEST 2008

Dony Tata wrote:

>how to configure virtual domain in postfix + mailman? in my mm_cfg.py i configure like this
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['doma.ac.id','domb.ac.id']
>in postfix/main.cf, configure like this
>virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

It's not a fatal mistake, but normally, you want
"hash:/etc/mailman/aliases" only in alias_maps and not in
alias_database. This is because Mailman runs postalias to update its
aliases.db whenever Mailman changes its aliases, so you don't need to
have Postfix do it whenever newaliases is run.

><abd at doma.ac.id>"Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=doma.ac.id type=A: Host not found>

As pointed out in another reply, this is a DNS issue. The sending MTA
does not know where to deliver mail for the dom.ac.id domain because
it has no MX or A record in DNS.