[Mailman-Users] Google gmail problem

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Fri Mar 14 01:49:27 CET 2008

> I'm posting this to the mailman-users list in hopes that I can get
> some input that will either explain or resolve a problem I am having
> with gmail users.
>
> Their complaint is that they do not see a copy of their posts to the
> list reflected back to them.
>
> The options profile for these users is typically "nodupes" and "plain"
> All other flags (including the ack and not metoo) flags are clear.
>
> My system is configured with personalization enabled, and the
> individual messages sent out are personalized.
>
> Basic configuration is Mailman 2.1.9, Solaris 5.9, sendmail
> 8.13.8+Sun.
>
> Sendmail logs are quite clear that the user messages are being sent
> back to the users and received and acknowledged by the google mail
> servers (dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent).
>
> I'm a bit hampered by knowing absolutely nothing about gmail.  I've
> got one user who is quite adamant that the problem is at my end.
>
> "   True with emails from this list, but not with other lists I
> am subscribed to.  Gmail shows both sent one and the copy coming
> back at me." (from "other lists," which are not identified).
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this problem?  Is there a
> solution, and if so, what?
>
> Hank

I had this problem reported to me today by a client. I did confirm that the
server (Mailman 2.1.9 and Exim) did send a copy of the post back to the
gmail sender and Google's mail server received it. I just copy and pasted
the portion of the log file that showed this to my client and he was
satisfied.

I don't think this is a mailman issue so I am not sure what kind of help you
will get here but if you find anything else out, please let me know.

Brian