[Mailman-Users] Mailing list commands being limited?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 15 02:48:06 CET 2008

Brian Herold wrote:

>We have an automated system that programmatically adds users to lists using the email command functionality (subscribe nodigest address=$theemailaddress).  Though, some of the lists are large and occasionally we get the returned email response:
>"We have received a message from your address `the at sender.com'
>requesting an automated response from the
>the-list at lists.com mailing list.  We have seen 10 such
>messages from you today.  In order to avoid problems such as mail
>loops between email robots, we will not be sending you any further
>email responses today.  Please try again tomorrow.
>If you believe this message is in error, or if you have any questions,
>please contact the list owner at
>the-list at lists.com."
>*Note that I renamed the sending and list email addresses.
>Is there some limit that's being triggered causing this message, and what can I do to prevent it?

The limit is MAX_AUTORESPONSES_PER_DAY which defaults to 10. It can be
set lower or higher, and it can be set to 0 for no limit, but note
that if you set it either to 0 or a large value, your server can be
used a spam reflector or for 'Joe Jobbing'.

Note however that the subscribe command(s) are still processed even
though the 10th one gets the above response and the remainder get no