[Mailman-Users] Some detail questions about migrating lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 16 23:38:32 CET 2008

Frank Griffin wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> If you want to see what's behind that, you can do
>>
>>   bin/dumpdb lists/webdata/config.pck
>>
>> and look at the actual values of the three attributes
>> first_strip_reply_to, reply_goes_to_list and reply_to_address.
>>

>For the webdata list (the ported one):
>
>    'first_strip_reply_to': False,
>    'reply_goes_to_list': 1,
>    'reply_to_address': '',
>
>Outside of the 'passwords', 'members', and 'users'  keys, the following
>keys contain 'frank.griffin at selectbs.com':
>
>    'owner': ['frank.griffin at selectbs.com'],

Which in my Mailman says add the list posting address to the Reply-To:,
if any, in the incoming message. Since in your case, it seems to be
adding

   list description <owner email>

This must be some Mandriva 'feature' about which I know nothing.

>For the ftgtest list (created on the new host):
>
>    'first_strip_reply_to': 1,
>    'reply_goes_to_list': 1,
>    'reply_to_address': '',
>
>and no mention whatever of the address 'frank.griffin at selectbs.com'.

Is it possible that you 'resent' an existing mail to the ftgtest list
which had that To: header in it?

>The mailman list contains:
>
>    'first_strip_reply_to': False,
>    'reply_goes_to_list': 0,
>    'reply_to_address': '',
>
>FWIW, there was no lists/mailman directory in the copied files.

And this just says 'no Reply-To munging', and it is normal that in
moving lists from another installation that you wouldn't move the
mailman list (or in the case of moving from 2.0.x, wouldn't even have
one to move). This list was probably installed by the rpm.

There are other anomalies that I can't explain. Normally, in standard
Mailman, the RFC 2369 List- headers will follow the Reply-To: if any.
That was true of the ftgtest post you posted earlier, but not the
webdata post.