[Mailman-Users] merging 2 mbox files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 21 23:58:06 CET 2008

Mark Heer wrote:

>I need to combine the archives into 1 for display on our web archive - which is on yet another machine
>running mailman but not the mx functions.  I attempted /bin/arch --wipe listname but it did not re-order the list by time sent/proper sequence., it just reproduced the file just as I had concatenated it. Is there a way to merge 2 same list mboxes into 1 properly sequenced mbox?

I'm not aware of any convenient way to merge two .mbox files in time
sequence, but it wouldn't be to hard to do, in Python at least.

But I'm confused about what you did and what didn't work. I think if
you have two .mbox files and you do something like

bin/arch --wipe listname /path/to/first.mbox
bin/arch listname path/to/second.mbox

Or I gather you concatenated the two .mbox files into
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox and then just ran

bin/arch --wipe listname

In either case. you should wind up with a pipermail HTML archive with
the messages more or less in time sequence. Is that what you did? Is
that not what happened?

Or did you expect bin/arch to resequence the input .mbox file. It won't
do that; it just uses it as input; it doesn't rewrite it.