[Mailman-Users] corporate spam filter operation

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 14:47:52 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
wrote:

> On 3/21/08, Matt Morgan wrote:
>
> >  Are there corporate, enterprise spam-killing services that work on a
> >  user-by-user basis, rather than a message-by-message basis? For
> example,
> >  where the same message, sent to a few different people, might be
> rejected as
> >  spam for one recipient but not others?
>
> You mean commercial systems that would be suitable for use in an
> Enterprise environment?  Not that I am aware of.
>
> There are some tools like SpamAssassin that can be configured to have
> a database that stores the settings of an individual user and then
> applies those to the incoming messages, but that's non-trivial to set
> up and manage.  It can be done, but it takes some work, and there's
> definitely a cost that you end up paying in terms of higher
> administrative overhead in managing that system.

This is what I'm getting at. Last time I was in charge of email for a
corporate system (which is a few years ago, now), we used SA to mark
incoming messages as spam when it scored high enough, and then let users
take care of it locally with Thunderbird's adaptive filters. But spam was
getting worse, and helping users to understand adaptive filtering was too
hard--moving the adaptive filtering to the server wasn't going to work. We
needed something that worked all by itself, and after I left they switched
to some Postini-like service (which does not have user-level adaptation, as
far as I can tell).

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

--Matt