[Mailman-Users] Controlling out going messages & Disabling "who<password>"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 27 17:59:21 CET 2008

Ralf Wiegand wrote:

>Q1: Controlling out going messages
>I have large groups 60k plus.  may are going to yahoo
>or google accounts.  If you send to many at once,
>yahoo or google will black list you.  Is there a way
>to send out the list email in , say 100 users at a
>time?

Short of modifying Mailman's delivery code which would probably just
result in Mailman's message delivery becoming hoplessly backlogged,
there's no way to do this in Mailman.

What you have to do is negotiate with Yahoo, Google, etc. To accept
your list mail. If you can convince them that your list traffic is
legitimate, you may succeed in getting your lists whitelisted.

On the other hand, if the issue is not the number of total recipients,
but rather the number of recipients per SMTP transaction, you can set
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in mm_cfg.py. This controls the maximum number of
recipients in one SMTP transaction.

>Q2:Disabling "who <password>"
>I noticed you can send an email to
>mailman-list-request at mydomain.com  and put into the
>subject line "who <passwd>" and the
>list server will send you the list of all people
>subscribed to this list.
>How do I disabled this?

Assuming you want to disable this for list members as opposed to
someone authenticating with the list password, set Privacy
options...->Subscription rules->private_roster to "List admin only".