[Mailman-Users] creating new virtual lists

Jim Coberly jimc at nmcourts.com
Thu Mar 27 21:03:16 CET 2008

billc wrote:
> At 3:12 PM -0400 3/27/08, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 3/27/2008, billc (billc_lists at greenbuilder.com) wrote:
>>>      Reason:  Message has implicit destination
>>>
>>> What does that mean?
>> The list address needs to be in either the To or CC field - its
>> probably BCC'd...
>
> No, the mail is delivered to a Gmail account and pulled down from
> there using Fetchmail and dropped into Mailman.  No CCs or BCCs.
>
> I *did* have to do some extra backflips with Gmail, as I currently
> have to wait 5 days before I can recreate the correct account name  -
> I have discusion@ set up as an email list which forwards to
> discussion2@ until Gmail lets me out of the penalty box for having
> just deleted an account named discussion at .   Perhaps that's where the
> problem lies.
>
> Hopefully I'll be able to get that one to go away in 5 days.

If a list is made up of other lists, in other words, main at server.net has
as members list1 at server.net and list2 at server.net and so forth - and if
implicit addressing is not allowed in those member lists, then messages
from an authorized member of main at server.net will generate the Reason:
Message has implicit destination message.  One way around that is to
turn off "Must posts have list named in destination (to, cc) field (or
be among the acceptable alias names, specified below)?" in the Privacy
options, Recipient filters section.

Jim
--
This email is the opinion of the author and is not an official
communication of the New Mexico Judicial Branch.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New
Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this
message.