[Mailman-Users] clarification on virtual domains

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed May 7 18:39:22 CEST 2008

bijayant kumar wrote:

>I have postfix configure for virtual domain. Whenever
>i add a new list for a new domain, it takes the
>new-list at previousdomain.com as a email address for
>newly created list and all the aliases being generated
>on the basis of previousdomain.com. When i change the
>default host this list prefers setting from the
>interface, then mails are started to bounce saying
>user unknown in virtual mailbox table. I will explain
>my problem with the example...
>I have three virtual domain dom1.com,
>dom2.com,dom3.com
>in mm_cfg.py i have
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['dom1.com']
>add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
>
>It works fine. lists created takes the address
>list1 at dom1.com.
>
>But when i add a new list say list2 like
>
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS =
>['dom1.com','dom2.com']
>add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
>add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom2.com')
>
>The newly created list2 takes the address
>list2 at dom1.com

Are you sure it isn't the other way around? When you have

add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom2.com')

The second entry effectively replaces the first because what they do is
add entries to a Python dictionary (a hash table). The first argument
is the key and the second is the value. So the first above makes an
entry with key 'lists.bijayant.com' and value 'dom1.com' and the
second replaces the value for key 'lists.bijayant.com' with 'dom2.com'

>when i update hostname setting from the list2
>Administrative interface, mail start bouncing.

If you run Mailman's bin/genaliases after editing the list's host_name,
that should fix the virtual maps.