[Mailman-Users] unsubscribe nonfictions duplicated daily

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 10 21:15:18 CEST 2008

Bill Heath wrote:

>My apologies, I had the configuration information in my clipboard but
>forgot to paste it prior to hitting send.
>
>I am running mailman 2.1.9, with postfix 2.4.5 on an Ubuntu 7.10 server

My guess is these notices are being generated by the cron/disabled
process which by default runs daily at 9:00 am.

Normally, this process detects members whose delivery has been disabled
by bounce and sends them the periodic reminder or ultimately
unsubscribes them after enough notices have been sent.

It seems that something is wrong here such that the unsubscribe notice
to the admin is sent without the member actually being removed.

There is a bug not fixed until 2.1.10. If a member's email address
local_part was all lower case, but the domain was mixed/upper case
(e.g. janedoe at Example.com), the member would be added with the key in
member data not being all lower case. This could cause all sorts of
problems including (I think) not actually removing the member when the
member should be removed.

I think that might be what's happening here. Do the addresses reported
as being unsubscribed have all lower case local_part and mixed or
upper case domain? Does bin/list_members without the -p option report
members with upper case in the domain?

If so, I think that's the issue. The problem is that it will be tricky
to fix. If you can confirm that this is the case, I can work up a
script that will fix it.