[Mailman-Users] Is it possible that a list loses its members?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue May 20 16:12:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

we're running Mailman 2.1.9. Today I encountered something that's a mystery
to me. A few weeks ago we created a list using our custom list-creation
script that we always use. The list was apparently created correctly, like
they always are. There were three initial list members and I can see them
being added in /var/log/mailman/subscribe. Our script adds members using
the add_members tool.

Every Saturday we run a cronjob that looks for empty lists, i.e. lists with
no members. The list in question popped up. So I wrote to the list owner to
ask him why the list was empty. He was completely unaware of that. He had
received the notifications about the new list members when the list was
created and nothing since. That's corroborated by the fact that there are
no unsubscribe lines in any of the log files. Still the list was empty.

I'm at a loss to explain what might have happened. Any ideas?
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK