[Mailman-Users] Major problems with privacy and mailman lists and harvesters

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue May 27 06:56:43 CEST 2008

On 5/26/08, Steve Murphy wrote:

>  Agreed. But I'm not at all for any kind of obfuscation. I'm for
>  removal. If we do a good job of subtracting email addresses from
>  outgoing messages, and out of the archives, eventually the spammers
>  will give up on lists so configured.

Other than anonymization, we can't really mess with the outgoing
messages.  You would be destroying information that could not be
retrieved or recreated, and if one of the recipients wanted to reply
to all of the other recipients (including non-list participants),
they would not be able to do so.

We could certainly do more within the "cooked" archives, however.  Of
course, in that case the list admin would have to protect the raw
archives from being downloaded, and right now there's no way to
prevent that from within Mailman.  You can choose whether or not to
advertise the raw archives, but even if they're not advertised,
someone who knows how to contruct the appropriate URL can still
download them.

So there are multiple security-related things that could be done to
further protect the archives, at least as an option for the list
admin.

Of course, you as a subscriber, would have no control over what would
be done with your e-mail once it's posted to the list -- that would
be up to the people who administer the list and what archive security
options they choose to select.

This might potentially be something we could fix in Mailman3 (where
each user could control on a per-list and per-sender address basis
what is done to/with their e-mail addresses within the archives), but
I don't think anyone has put any serious thought into that particular
issue.

>  I **thought"" I understood the basics of email workings.
>  What I'm targeting is the "From ", and "From:" headers.

What you call the "From " header is not actually a header.  It's the
envelope sender information, and is not necessarily recorded anywhere
within the message itself.  You can't muck with that, unless you want
your message thrown away as spam.

Also, you can't really muck with the header "From:" field, unless you
want your message thrown away as spam.

>                                                           Instead of them
>  giving the actual email of the original submitter, they could simply say
>  "whateverlist at lists.whateverdomain.com" -- in other words, set the from
>  addr to the list address itself.

That's called "list anonymization".  However, this is controlled on a
per-list basis, and as a user you have absolutely no control over
this process whatsoever.

Moreover, there are some pretty serious costs with list
anonymization.  Trust me, you really don't want to turn this on
unless you know exactly what you're doing and why.

>  What's not-doable about this? Am I missing something? I can be incredibly
>  dense at times, and miss some pretty obvious laws of nature. Feel free to
>  correct me.

With regards to the messages actually being transmitted, that's
basically all we can do.

>  IIRC, the spammers forge the From addresses all the time, and the emails
>  get delivered.

Yeah, but they don't care if 99.9999999999999999999999% of their
messages get thrown away as spam, so long as that last tiny fraction
gets through.

In contrast, your users would probably be pretty upset if any
significant fraction of the messages being sent by your list were to
get thrown away as spam.