[Mailman-Users] slightly OT: on not becoming a spam source

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Thu May 29 04:26:04 CEST 2008

On 5/28/08 7:09 PM, Dave Dewey wrote:
> Quoting David Newman (dnewman at networktest.com):
>
>> One or more AOL subscribers is reporting posts to one of our mailing
>> lists as spam. Every time there's a post to this list, both we and our
>> upstream provider get a feedback report from AOL. This report provides
>> the message-ID for the offending email, but not the recipient's address.
>>
>> AOL claims I should be able to find the offended recipient(s) with just
>> the message-ID, but I do not believe they are correct about that.
>> grep'ing for the message-ID in maillog returns *all* of the ~250
>> recipients for each post.
>
> Well, how many of those 250 use AOL email addresses?  That'll narrow
> it down.

Only around 15 percent are @aol.com addresses but unfortunately AOL has
other domains such as @netscape.com, @bigfoot.com, and possibly others,
all of which get handled by the AOL postmaster. I don't have an
exhaustive list; while it's mostly likely some user in @aol.com-land, I
can't say for sure.

> This is probably one way.
>
> Another is to enable VERP for your outgoing messages, this allows
> you to track the message ID to the individual user.

That sounds very promising, thanks. Trying it now...

dn