[Mailman-Users] slightly OT: on not becoming a spam source

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu May 29 05:43:23 CEST 2008

On 5/28/08 9:26 PM, David Newman at dnewman at networktest.com wrote:

>> Another is to enable VERP for your outgoing messages, this allows
>> you to track the message ID to the individual user.
>
> That sounds very promising, thanks. Trying it now...

I have all my lists VERPed for just that reason. Once I figure out who it
is, they get unsubscribed with extreme prejudice (meaning they also get
banned from the mail server). But you should be aware that will increase
your outgoing mail load. Nothing I do is high enough frequency for that to
be an issue but it can be for some people.

Most of my lists are announcement lists. In fact, for some of them, the
recipients aren't even aware it's a mailing list. I (as a side job) assign
soccer referees for local leagues. Rather than sending out announcements to
my referees with a long BCC: list, I add them to a private mailman list with
VERP so they receive them with them as the To: recipient. That also lets me
know who to remove when they decide that the easiest way to let me know that
they're no longer interested in being notified of available games is to do a
"report as spam". :-(

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com