[Mailman-Users] Selecting Topics Externally?

brad.plevyak at highmarkmedicareservices.com brad.plevyak at highmarkmedicareservices.com
Thu May 29 21:20:05 CEST 2008

Hi all,

We currently use Mailman at our site but do not have the administrative
interface open to the public.  My workaround to allow users to subscribe
and unsubsribe was a CGI script that generated a command line argument to
send the subcribe or unsubscribe message along with the e-mail address to
mailman, using an e-mail message (it simulated the user sending an email
with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the subject).  Pretty simple.

I have a tougher job now though -- We'd like users to be able to select a
topic or topics to add or remove themselves to on the mailing list.
Without a built-in command line option to set topics, or being able to
directly post to the mailman application (since it's behind our firewall
and will only work for internal company users, not external customers), can
anyone tell me if they have written a CGI application that can simulate
sending these commands to mailman?

I was thinking I could use an HTML form to pass the form field values to a
CGI script, which could then build the proper submit logic to in turn pass
the commands on to mailman (since the CGI is running our our server
internally, this SHOULD work).

Can anyone help me?  My head is spinning here.

Thanks!