[Mailman-Users] slightly OT: on not becoming a spam source

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Fri May 30 18:15:06 CEST 2008

On 5/30/08 8:40 AM, Larry Stone wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008, David Newman wrote:
>
>>> When you then get the AOL TOS e-mail, you can figure out who the list
>>> recipient was as while AOL redacts the AOL recipient, they don't touch the
>>> Return-Path.
>> I wish this were true, but it appears AOL gets to the Return-Path too:

> Hmmm. I had one as recently as 5/15 and Return-Path was not touched nor
> some of the other places the address appears. It is frustrating that AOL
> wants to stop the unwanted e-mail but tries to make it difficult to figure
> out who is complaining.

Indeed. I got my case escalated, and at first the AOL postmaster was
responsive, but I haven't heard back since pointing this out a few days ago.

>> Given the above, is "aoluser at aol.com" the subscriber that's complaining?
>> Or is it just a coincidence that that AOL user got listed first?
>
> I think so. With personalization on, Mailman is generating a separate
> e-mail for each user which passes through Postfix as separate messages
> with a unique ID in Postfix. Without personalization, Mailman could pass
> as few as one message to the MTA and let the MTA split it into all the
> destinations. With personalization, the message for each user comes to the
> MTA as a separate message. One of the tradeoffs of personalization is the
> increased workload for Mailman and the MTA.

Initially I thought the changes I made to mailman would result in a
unique Message-ID per recipient, but this does not appear to be the case.

For future reference, are these the only mailman change needed to get
unique ESMTP IDs?

1. in mm_cfg.py, add "OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes"

2. enable personalization for the list in the Web UI

If so, that may be "good enough" to catch who's complaining.

thanks much

dn