[Mailman-Users] Configure Repy-To header for confirmations

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 2 23:08:08 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Still, if you can use VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, it would make the code
> modifications simpler because of the way the address is generated. The
> difference is without VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, the message is
>
> From: list-request at ...
>
> with
>
> Subject: confirm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...
>
> and with VERP_CONFIRMATIONS it is
>
> >From list-confirm+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... at ...
>
> with
>
> Subject: Your confirmation is required to ...
>
> Of course, if the local part suffix is included in the length
> restriction, this only makes it worse and can't be used.

Since I don't know what the implications of VERP_CONFIRMATIONS are, I
have reason to not try it. :)
The length restriction is on the mailbox name or rather the user name
(everything that precedes the '@').

> Does the munging need to be done for all lists in the installation? Is
> it done in the same way for each list? I.e. is list-request always
> mapped to listreq or does the mapping vary depending on list. Can the
> mapping be deduced programmatically, or would it have to be looked up in
> a table?

Actually no. There is only 1 list that otherwise exceeds this limit. The
mapping can be deduced programmatically. It is simply the list name
prepended to 'req' rather than prepended to '-request'.