[Mailman-Users] listname-bounces@

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Nov 17 18:09:03 CET 2008

Michael Welch wrote:

> That means I end up having to do personal contact with way too many
> people to let them know that they did not use the correct address, so
> they need to resend.
>
> I notice that this list does not show me the real address in those
> headers, but rather something like:
>
> Sender: mailman-users-bounces+myaddress=mydomain.org at python.org
>
> So I would guess that the list admin for this listserver rarely sees
> users mistaking the Sender: header for the correct address.

We get a few people who send to mailman-users-owner thinking that they're
posting to the whole list, but I disabuse them of that notion.

Over the several years I've been acting as one of the co-owners of this
list, I don't recall getting any messages being sent by users to
mailman-users-bounces.

> I am getting pretty tired of this. How can I fix it?

You can set up an auto-responder.  For the web admin page for your mailing
list, go to the "Auto-responder" section.  From there, you can set the
auto-responder message for all posts that are sent to the list, and there's
a separate auto-responder message that you can create for all messages sent
to listname-owner, which should also include all messages sent to
listname-bounces.

Make sure you check the settings of the various related radio-buttons for
these automatic responses, and change them to be more appropriate for your
situation if they are not correct.