[Mailman-Users] The Mysterious Disappearing Disk Space (fwd)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Nov 18 05:26:34 CET 2008

Greetings,

	I have looked through the archives for something similar to my
issue, and I noticed that by searching on "disk full", I get similar
reports beginning in roughly July of 08.

	As with these other reports, I have noticed *tremendous*
disappearing space.  When I tried to find the actual files, I was
unsuccessful.  Interestingly, if I stop mailman and then restart it, the
"missing" space miraculously reappears!

	So, now that the background is over with, here's where I find
myself (besides just looking stupid):

(1) Yesterday I enabled VERP, and it appeared to be working well,  At the
time I turned on VERP, I had around 5gb of free space (which would take
about two weeks to "disappear" before VERP).
(2) Around 2pm today, the disk was full, and mailman died.
(3) My inkling of something being wrong was this on the web interface:

  "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.11rc2

  We're sorry, we hit a bug!

  Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
  traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
  but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs. "

(4) Upon looking at the system in response to the above missive, I checked
and saw the system ws out of space again.  I did what I always do - shut
down mailman (which usually drops ~5gb of "missing" space, and then
restart it.  Everything before today has come up roses doing this.

(5) There is nothing in any of the logs that indicate why this message is
continuing to poke fun at me.

(6) I have looked through the various manuals, pdfs, etc, and cannot find
anything about explicitly enabling logging so that I can get a better
handle on this.

Oddly, as a mailman user since around 2001, this is the first real problem
Ive had: Great platform!!!  Mediocre admin though, and one begging for
help as well.

All the best,

//Alif

--