[Mailman-Users] Incoming Mail not being processed?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 18 23:22:51 CET 2008

Jewel wrote:

>I really need someone to help me.  I have confirmed that mail is coming
>from my server but then it disappears.  I don't know what logs to look
>at or what items to check to check if the problem is in fact my machine
>not able to process the mail.

You've raised a few issues: missing delivery, slow delivery, lost posts.

The FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4oA9> has some info on mail not
being delivered to some users.

For slow delivery, check Mailman's 'smtp' log and Mailman's qfiles/out/
queue for signs of backlogging - i.e. anywhere from some to lots of
entries in qfiles/out; log entries of the form

Nov 18 08:51:29 2008 (30746) <message id> smtp to LISTNAME for 217
recips, completed in 4.734 seconds

with fewer than tens or hundreds of messages per second and timestamps
equal to the previous entry's time stamp plus the processing time of
this entry.

Also check the MTA log and follow a post from the MTA to mailman and
back to the MTA and from there to the end users. If posts are being
sent to end recipients and not bouncing, they've left your control and
if recipients aren't receiving them, you have to look to the receiving
server.