[Mailman-Users] Incoming Mail not being processed?

Jewel jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu
Wed Nov 19 01:39:27 CET 2008

This is my postfix mail log - so if I see it was sent here like the
below example doesn't that mean it has left my machine and it out of my
control at that point?

Brad Knowles wrote:
> jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu wrote:
>
>> I am using Postfix and when I send a test to the mailman list, which I
>> am a member of I can see it being sent in the maillog:
>> Nov 18 17:39:42 lists postfix/smtp[3953]: DBFB98C0011:
>> to=<jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu>,
>> relay=ims.washburnlaw.edu[198.252.9.211]:25, delay=0.11,
>> delays=0.03/0.02/0.05/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Message accepted
>> for delivery)
>
> Okay, so look for more lines like this in your postfix log,
> specifically you're looking for lines with a high value in the
> "delay=" field.

>> Now where and what am I looking for in what log.  When I look at;
>> /usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp I see stuff like:
>> Nov 18 17:52:09 2008 (2062) <49235563.9020007 at washburn.edu> smtp to
>> mailman for 1 recips, completed in 0.045 seconds
>
> That just tells you how long it took for Mailman to hand off the
> message to postfix.  If there was a significant delay internal to
> Mailman, it would show up here.  But everything you've said so far
> indicates that the delays you're seeing may not be internal to
> Mailman.  So, you need to look in the MTA logs, too.
>> Is this what I am suppose to be looking for?
>>
>> By the way, right now (probably because everyone's gone from work) mail
>> is getting delivered within 5 minutes or less.  Yet during lunchtime it
>> would be hours of a delay.
>
> Maybe you are rate-limited by your ISP?  They only allow you to send
> so many messages per hour, and with your mailing lists you easily
> exceed those limits at lunchtime?
_
That rate-limiting would make sense because I am forwarding all the mail
to a relay which can only deliver 2-3 messages per second.

--
Jewel