[Mailman-Users] Attachment URL in the archive is mangled.

Mark Dale mdale at geniusmoon.com.au
Sun Nov 23 11:34:40 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> There is probably some incompatibility between the 2.1.9 Scrubber.py
> and the rest of your installation that threw an exception on mail with
> attachments. Check Mailman's error log and shunt queue.

Yes, it was a shot in the dark replacing 2.1.5 Srubber with a 2.1.9
There are a number of errors in the logfile  e.g.

Nov 23 03:05:27 2008 (1800) SHUNTING:
1227409525.3357961+31e6f6226a3b5cbc4a8dadaf3f4dde064947822e

Nov 23 03:07:07 2008 (1800) uncaught archiver exception at filepos: 0

Nov 23 03:07:07 2008 (1800) Uncaught runner exception: 'module' object
has no attribute 'SCRUBBER_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME_EXTENSION'

> I have been able to duplicate the problem with the 2.1.5 version of
> Scrubber.py. I'll try to come up with a simple patch that you can
> apply to fix it.

That would be brilliant!

> The issue is as I thought. The scrubbed message is quoted-printable
> encoded, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding: header says 8bit and not
> quoted-printable so the message is not properly decoded for the
> archive.

Yes. Grant Taylor mentioned this. He made reference to format=flow being
the go, rather that quoted=printable. I confess it's something I don't
understand. I had thought f=f was something the email client decided.

> In my case, I could see other symptoms of this besides just the URL of
> the scrubbed attachment. For example, the "-- " separator before my
> signature was rendered as "-- =" followed by a blank line.

Yes. I saw that also, I was pretending not to. ;-)

cheers
Mark Dale