[Mailman-Users] Attachment URL in the archive is mangled.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 23 18:12:44 CET 2008

Mark Dale wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> I have been able to duplicate the problem with the 2.1.5 version of
>> Scrubber.py. I'll try to come up with a simple patch that you can
>> apply to fix it.
>
>That would be brilliant!

It is not clear if you saw my followup post with the patch. It's at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-November/064117.html>
in case you missed it.

>> The issue is as I thought. The scrubbed message is quoted-printable
>> encoded, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding: header says 8bit and not
>> quoted-printable so the message is not properly decoded for the
>> archive.
>
>Yes. Grant Taylor mentioned this. He made reference to format=flow being
>the go, rather that quoted=printable. I confess it's something I don't
>understand. I had thought f=f was something the email client decided.

Format=flowed and/or quoted-printable encoding are all things decided
by a mail client or in this case by the Python email library.
Scrubber.py is building a new, text/plain message containing the
text/plain parts of the original messages and the notes and URLs for
scrubbed parts. It creates the body by concatenating these parts
separated by the '-------------- next part --------------\n' separator.

It then calls an email message method to set this as the message body,
and the email library decides on the appropriate
Content-Transfer-Encoding and sets the appropriate header. The bug in
Scrubber is that it removed that header and replaced it with

The current email library will create quoted-printable encoded parts
where appropriate, but won't create format=flowed which is a good
thing because the pipermail archiver doesn't understand it.