[Mailman-Users] bin/upgrade has been broken since 2.1.5 (orpossibly longer)

Knut Auvor Grythe knut at auvor.no
Wed Oct 1 07:27:27 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:46:25AM -0500, Barry Finkel wrote:
>> This week, when attempting to upgrade further to Ubuntu Hardy, with
>> Mailman 2.1.9, the upgrade script crashed as soon as it reached one of
>> these lists, without releasing the lock. The attached patch is what I
>> used to be able to upgrade cleanly from the previously corrupted data.
>
> Are you installing from source or using the Debian/Ubuntu package?
> If the latter, remember that there are a number of Debian/Ubuntu
> patches applied to the source.

I am aware of that. I therefore verified that the vanilla source had the
same bug. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Ubuntu at all, that
sidenote seems to only throw people off.

We're not using Ubuntu because we're newbies. We're using it because
Ubuntu has predictable release cycles which allows us to schedule
upgrades in a proper way, and Debian doesn't. I'd never report a bug in
Mailman without verifying that the bug indeed is in Mailman and not the
Ubuntu packaging.

> When I looked at the patches, I
> was not sure what many of them did, and I was not sure of the code
> base upon which these patches were built.  IIRC, one patch referred
> to 2.1.4 code.

We've never had any problems with mailman itself due to patches from
Ubuntu. We have had other issues though, like for instance with the
logrotate script in their package, but nothing bad enough to justify
the overhead of keeping a local package updated.

> That is why I built my own package from the SourceForge
> source; my management would not let me install the source without a
> package.

I agree with your management there :-)

--
Knut Auvor