[Mailman-Users] msg_header / archives / reply to

Ewout Wierda ewout.wierda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:36:14 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

As you would expect my first message here I have some questions about some
problems I have.

I set up a mailing list using the cPanel of my hosting provider, and I have
been trying to make a header text (msg_header) in the non-digest options.
However, no matter what I do, my test mails do not show the header.
I asked my hosting provider if there is some backend setting in the software
that needs to be changed, but got as a somewhat surprising reply that I
cannot use the non-digest options "since Mailman is part of Cpanel, which
comes already encrypted".
Considering that Mailman is GNU GPL I find it hard to believe that, so I am
trying to find out what to tell my provider to do exactly.
Browsing the internet has not helped me much. I noticed that there is
a OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION setting but I am not sure that setting
is needed for msg_header, nor am I sure where that sort of setting can be
changed.
So my first question is: how can I get that msg_header setting to work?

Secondly I have sent a few test messages to a few email addresses I have but
none appear in the archive, which is still completely empty aside from
column headings. The archive setting is on. What could I do to make the
archive work?

The third issue I have (probably I have more but am not aware of them yet!)
is that a response to a list message goed to the sender not to the list, but
the reply_goes_to_list setting is on list.

All in all I have the impression that virtually all but the most basic
functionality is disabled. My hosting is cheap (I am setting up for a
non-profit organisation so little choice!) and I suppose they want to save
system resources and avoid risks, but since I will have no more than 75
known subscribers I wonder if their underlying settings could be changed per
hosting account.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ewout