[Mailman-Users] Default cahrset for 'de' to ISO8859-15/UTF-8?

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Fri Oct 3 12:08:03 CEST 2008

Hello world,

I wonder if there are any plans to change the default charset for the
'de' locale of Mailman to anything else than ISO8859-1, because this
charset cannot even represent our current currency symbol.

I have changed this myself for now (adding needed variables to
mm_cfg.py, converting translated templates to the new charset,
recreating pod files), but I think it _might_ be a good idea to change
the default charset for all languages spoken mostly by countries which
are in the 'Euro' currency zone to at least ISO8859-15.

I acknowledge there might be some difficult cases (for exmaple, in
Switzerland, there are people who might be interested in running a
mailing list with a 'de' or 'fr' locale, but they don't use the 'Euro'
as currency there).

Cheers
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
Insanity isn't a disease, it's a way of life