[Mailman-Users] Create List Aliases

Darragh Gammell dbgsystems at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 06:56:24 CEST 2008

Charles
Sorry for the confusion. That was me creating a list with a name that just
wouldn't be used anywhere else. My query was regarding the RHS section of
the alias listings.
The wwqq is just random typing from me so that it was a unique name.

Thanks Mark for your input. For the sake of providing a solution I restored
from backup tape and here's what the difference was:

In the file: /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Utils.py

I changed this section: (default install)

def _makealiases_mailprog(listname):
    wrapper = os.path.join(mm_cfg.WRAPPER_DIR, 'mailman')

    aliases = [(listname,          '"|%s post %s"' % (wrapper, listname)),
               ]
    for ext in ('admin', 'bounces', 'confirm', 'join', 'leave', 'owner',
                'request', 'subscribe', 'unsubscribe'):
        aliases.append(('%s-%s' % (listname, ext),
                        '"|%s %s %s"' % (wrapper, ext, listname)))
    return aliases

To This:

    aliases = [(listname,          '%s at lists.blah.net.au' % (listname)),
               ]
    for ext in ('admin', 'bounces', 'confirm', 'join', 'leave', 'owner',
                'request', 'subscribe', 'unsubscribe'):
        aliases.append(('%s-%s' % (listname, ext),
                        '%s-%s at lists.blah.net.au <s-%25s at lists.blah.net.au>'
% (listname,ext)))

    return aliases

Or to reiterate the exact same thing in an easier to read way:

I changed this line:       aliases = [(listname,          '"|%s post %s"' %
(wrapper, listname)),
to this:                        aliases = [(listname,          '%
s at lists.blah.net.au' % (listname)),

and this line:               '"|%s %s %s"' % (wrapper, ext, listname)))
to this:
'%s-%s at lists.blah.net.au<s-%25s at lists.blah.net.au>'
% (listname,ext)))

Its now creating the aliases the way it was prior to the upgrade.

Thanks

Darragh