[Mailman-Users] Extreme Slow delivery of messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 17 20:37:09 CEST 2008

faisal anif wrote:
>I've recently purchased a dedicated server (P4 2.4, 1 GB RAM) with Cpanel/WHM .. I created a list with cpanel but noticed that exim is extremely slow in delivering the messages to the list  although I changed the following settings in WHM:
>The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited) = 0
>Number of minutes between mail server queue runs (default is 60) = 1
>I checked with the server's providers, there are no constraints on the outgoing messages from the server.
>what could the problem be?

Question 1 - is the delay in SMTP from Mailman to exim or is the delay
between exim and the remote MTA's?

Look in mailman's smtp log for messages like

Oct 17 09:47:08 2008 (30746)
<973585.76882.qm at web36908.mail.mud.yahoo.com> smtp to gpc-website for
23 recips, completed in 0.396 seconds

The above is a VERP'd delivery, so it represents 23 separate SMTP
transactions in 0.396 seconds. If your delivery is an order of
magnitude or more slower than this, see the FAQ at

If the delay is between exim and the remote MTA's, this is an exim
question, not a Mailman one, but the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/qoA9> may help.