[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 21 02:27:33 CEST 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>I'm making some progress as the problems so far seem to be ownerhip and
>permissions since the copy had to be done as root. I could not find
>anything that tells me what the group and owner should be for each
>associated directory but I think I have them all set to mailman:mail.

bin/check_perms will help. I don't think mailman:mail is correct. The
user is not important, but the group should be Mailman's group (the
setting for MAILMAN_GROUP in Defaults.py. Run

bin/check_perms -f

as root. That should make group and mode correct.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/tYA9>.

>I don't think I understand what to do at this point. Everything other
>then what I copied was set per the Mandriva installer.

Where are your aliases?

The mail wrapper is compiled to to expect to be invoked by the 'mail'
group. Postfix will invoke the wrapper as the user and that user's
primary group corresponding to the owner of the aliases.db file in
which the pipe command was found. I.e., if the aliases.db file is
userx:groupy, postfix will invoke the wrapper as userx:groupx where
groupx is userx's primary group.