[Mailman-Users] Question on version 2.1.11

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Thu Oct 23 18:05:28 CEST 2008

Hello Everyone:

I have a quick question. I have a client who wishes to modify the password
for a list member that has been added manually. However he is getting the
following message:

"The list administrator may not change the password for a user"

Evidently this worked in the previous version but not in 2.1.11. Is there
another method that the list admin can use to get this done? Here is the
original question posted to me:

" The way my lists work is that when a user send in a subscription request,
add him/her manually to the list, then I change the user's password to
something generated manually. This same manually-generated password is used
to give the user access to another related page, so it's important that I
know the password for the user when I create their logins. The user can, of
course, change the passwords later, so this is only at the initial stage.

Today when I tried to add a user I got an "admin-cannot-change-user-pwd
message" (screenshot below).

Have I got anything wrong? Should I be doing something else to change the
new users' passwords when I add them to the lists?"

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Brian