[Mailman-Users] What happened to my archive? Why isn't the archive process running?

TGPlatt, WebMaster webwitchcraft at webwitchcraft.com
Thu Oct 30 05:59:33 CET 2008

LOL!! Bear in mind my guru friend that what's apparent to someone with your
years of experience and wisdom isn't the least bit obvious to a mailman
newcomers like me. Naïve as it may be, we tend to assume that when the
program says it checked permissions and found no problems we're not likely
to encounter permission issues with mailman's own automated processes later.
I know that's a silly assumption to make, but we'll tend to make it anyway.
;-)

That's why I deliberately avoided seeking your help while I struggled and
did extensive testing and research for DAYS trying to figure out exactly how
to configure Apache, Postfix and Mailman with virtual alias domains so that
I might at least have a prayer someday of being able to support more than
one mailman discussion list on my server. As a result of that struggle, I
may not know everything there IS to know, but at least understand the basic
concepts now.

I'm engaged in a similar struggle now in trying to understand mailman
ownership and permissions. I'm not sure I understand how ownership and
permissions play out in mailman. So, I'm forced to proceed with absolute
faith that YOU know what you're doing, sir. For my part, I feel like a blind
man who is flying a wide-body jet filled with screaming passengers into
Atlanta at rush hour for the first time. And YOU and the mailman tools are
my ONLY guides. So, since the check_perms tool doesn't work flawlessly, I'm
relying on you to tell me how to do it right, oh Guru! B-)

Thanks for being so patient and understanding.