[Mailman-Users] Mailman on multiple domains

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 31 21:12:53 CET 2008

Scott Race wrote:

>Thanks, fixed the domain name in the mm_cfg.py to read ['second-domain.com'].
>
>Running the /bin/genaliases doesn't return an error, but doesn't
>generate the /data/virtual-mailman file.  The mailman error logs don't
>show anything (no errors since Oct 22).
>
>Sounds like the virtual-mailman file missing is my main problem, huh?

Yes.

Go to the list's General Options page and look near the bottom at "Host
name this list prefers for email.". Does this match second-domain.com?

What you ultimately need to do to configure all this depends on whether
or not you will have multiple Mailman domains or a single Mailman
domain.

If there is only a single mailman domain = second-domain.com you want
something like

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.second-domain.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'second-domain.com'
add_virtual_hosts(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

in mm_cfg.py

and then run

bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

to fix the web_page_url and host_name attributes of all the lists.

If you have more Mailman domains, it's more complex, but until you have
the proper host_name for your lists, genaliases won't create/update
virtual-mailman.