[Mailman-Users] Whitelisting & Blacklisting domains

Edward Ned Harvey eharvey at lyricsemi.com
Wed Sep 3 15:36:48 CEST 2008

> > I am configuring a company private mailman server, where we want
> > people
> > inside the company to be able to subscribe and unsubscribe freely...
> > And
> > block any attempts from anyone outside the company.
> >
> > Is there some whitelisting/blacklisting/pattern matching capability,
> > automatically accept subscriptions from within the company and deny
> > from
> > outside?
>
> Sounds like a firewall issue. Run Mailman on a separate port, and
> block it outside the firewall.

Our primary mailserver is outside the firewall, so if I block all inbound
port 25, then my own users can't email the list.  Otherwise the firewall
would be a good solution.

Now that you mention it, I think there will be some good along these lines.
I can configure our firewall to only allow port 25 from a specific IP.  And
I think I can configure exim to only allow email "From: " a specific domain.
It doesn't have to be inside of Mailman, as I was previously thinking.

Then I can configure Mailman as loosey-goosey as possible, and rely on the
underlying stuff instead.

Thanks, ttyl...