[Mailman-Users] many problems

Karen Windus kwindus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 23:40:32 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,
My name is Karen and I've just set up a Virtual Dedicated Linux server via
Godaddy.  I want to run Mailman for a litserv community that has decided to
flee one of the many VT listservs they have so kindly hosted over the years.
 The list has gone down too many times and the feeling is we'd like a
listserv under our own control.

So, here's one of my first questions.  Since I've never administrated a
listserv before and don't have any experience with Mailman, is there anyone
else on this list who is also using Godaddy's Virtual server hosting plan
who can give me some pointers?  I called GoDaddy yesterday and I was told
that unless I pay for an Assisted Service Plan (which is expensive!!!!!),
they don't offer support for Mailman.  Even though one can enable it via
their Simple Control Panel and set up a list via that control panel.
 However the list I set up only allowed me to name it thus far.  I didn't
see a place where I could add email addresses to start testing my first list
with a few other people.

And when I used Putty to SSH into my new server, I couldn't determine where
Mailman's install directory was.  Any ideas?  A little bit of background on
me...I'm a web developer and I've programmed in Python before.  I'm familiar
with PHP, MySQL, TCL, Javascript, etc.  However, not a lot of Linux or
SysAdmin experience aside from navigating the file structure and unpacking
and archiving things.

I'm a quick learner though and excited about learning Linux and Mailman.  I
can read manuals and can figure out what commands I need to issue on the cmd
line once I figure out what I need to do configuration wise (if anything)
with GoDaddy.  If someone has written any documentation out there on
GoDaddy's set up, Simple Control Panel (like should I just upgrade to Plex
for $10 more a month?) and Mailman, aside from the scant info I found in
their Help area (which all deals with the Plex control panael...not the
Simple Control Panel), then I'd be grateful for a link or any advice at all.

Thanks!

Karen